Public services are a building block of our society. Generations of Australians have built these services to help this nation make the most of its talents, protect the vulnerable, plan for the future, and improve everyone’s quality of life.
But years of funding cuts, redundancies and privatisations are undermining public services.
The millions of Australians who use and value public services - and our members who deliver them - want the Turnbull Government to stop the cuts.
With the Budget due on 9 May, the CPSU is increasingly concerned by reports that rather than repairing the damage that has been done, the Turnbull Government will make even deeper ‘efficiency dividend’ cuts, and introduce more outsourcing, privatisation and contestability.
All Australians benefit from the security that a robust, confident and innovative public sector can provide.
- Turnbull Budget bad for Centrelink, doubles down on disastrous cuts - CPSU media release
- A People's Budget in 2017 - CPSU news story
- More public service cuts will harm Australia and the Government itself - Op-ed by Nadine Flood, CPSU National Secretary
- 2017 Budget site - includes links to Budget Papers
- CPSU Budget submission (summary)
- CPSU Budget submission (full)