The results of the Australian Marriage Equality survey were released this morning with a resounding 61.6% support for Marriage Equality.
We have all helped make history with this result and that is no small thing – this is a big moment, and it’s come about because people came together to make it happen.
From the get-go we declared that equality is union business and that we would be playing an active role in supporting the Yes campaign. We would like to thank every member who assisted with efforts on the campaign, whether that was with the CPSU, the Yes Campaign, political parties or other groups.
We are very proud that our members were so involved in this campaign and played a part in this amazing result.
Now we have the job of getting the legislation through so that it reflects what the Australian people have voted for: equality for all. As this goes on we will continue to stand with our LGBTIQA+ members, their families and allies who have fought so hard for this recognition.
We know that this has been a really difficult time for many people and that the campaign isn’t done yet. Remember if any of the public commentary on the survey or proposed legislation is troubling you, you can talk to one of these organisations:
- Out & Online (ages 18-25) – online help for same-gender attracted youth
- QLife (counselling and referral service for LGBTI people) – call 1800 184 527 or chat online
- beyondblue (for anyone feeling depressed or anxious) – call 1300 22 4636 or chat online
- ReachOut.com (youth mental health service) – visit the website for info or use the online forum.
- Lifeline (support for anyone having a personal crisis) – call 13 11 14 or chat online
- Suicide Call Back Service (for anyone thinking about suicide) – call 1300 659 467
Today Australia voted yes to fairness, equality and love but our job's not done yet. Together we’ll make sure politicians do their job and turn marriage equality in the law. But tonight we can celebrate and be proud of what our union and communities have achieved!