Wow, what a year
Thank you for your effort and support for the important work we do every day making a difference. Before we take much deserved breaks and enjoy the holidays with our families and loved ones, it’s a good time to reflect on some of what we’ve done together this year across our movement.
I would like to particularly thank our CPSU Delegates Kerryn King, Stuart Henderson and Geoff Williams who have done an incredible job representing members through the toughest round of bargaining the APS has ever seen. Thank you.
Here at ARPANSA we have:
- Resolved bargaining which saw ARPANSA retain significant rights and entitlements compared to other agencies.
- Provided comment and analysis on several different polices.
- Assisted individual members with advice and support to deal with personal issues
Across the public service in 2017 we have:
- Restored significant enterprise agreement content and reinstate key rights that are important to members including:
- Flex time rights
- Commitment to flexible working arrangements
- EL TOIL
- Performance assessment protections
- Retention periods protected
- Support for redundant employees
- Part timer rights
- Overtime for part timers
- Some pre-decision consultation and delegates’ facilities
- Recognition the role of union delegates and the right to representation
- Exposed Government not taking its own Gender Equality Advice
- Won an additional $48.5 million over three years to support our national cultural collections through our #FundOutCulture campaign
- Stopped the privatisation of Australia Hearing
- Won an additional 2,000 ongoing jobs to boost Centrelink and other services
- Held a number of events and actions in support of our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander members
- Produced a new know your rights fact sheet on social media and work and political comments by APS employees
- Supported indigenous literacy
- Launched petition to oppose outsourcing of Centrelink call centres
- Raised over $1800 for Lifeline as part of our campaign for mentally healthy workplaces
- Won big for NBN workers
In our community we have:
- Stood up against the Robodebt debacle
- Defeated proposed cuts to Paid Parental Leave
- Stood up for Marriage Equality
- Signed up to the First Nations Worker Alliance
- Joined in the release of the People’s Inquiry into Privatisation report
And as part of the broader union movement we have:
- Stood up against cuts to penalty rates
- Launched our union-wide Change the Rules campaign
- Stood up for paid domestic and family leave as part of the We Won’t Wait campaign
- Defeated Streets’ attempted 46% pay cut
- Halted and won back pay after Chin Chin’s wage theft
No wonder we’re tired! But we’re not done yet. We’ll be facing some tremendous challenges next year to defend our rights, stand up for the public services we deliver, and to change the rules to bring back a fair go.
We’ll need to be bigger and stronger to win so please ask a non-member colleague to join today.
Thank you for being part of our movement this year.
We wish you all the best for the holidays and New Year. And we look forward to working with you in 2018 to continue to make our workplaces, our services and our community better.