The recent outbreak of Coronavirus COVID-19 has dramatically affected the lives of all Australians at work as well as at home. Both Federal and State Governments have introduced measures which have dramatically changed our livelihood but the CPSU is doing the best we can to ensure your rights and conditions at work are protected.
We have been successful in securing 14 days of COVID-19 Paid Leave for all Australia Post members who may need to take leave due to COVID 19. We are recommending that before accessing this leave to speak to your manager and myHR Employee Assist to ensure that you fit the criteria of the Australia Post Pandemic Leave Policy.
You are also welcome to contact me here
However, after receiving feedback from our members we have asked for Australia Post to consider:
- Extending self-isolation leave to staff members in high risk groups (ie. Those with autoimmune diseases)
- Giving staff members the opportunity to use the special leave before exhausting personal leave if they contract COVID-19 or need to access leave for caring responsibilities due to COVID-19.
- Flexibility in the requirement to provide documentation of a positive COVID-19 due to the restrictions on testing owing to a shortage of testing kits.
- Work from home capabilities to be provided to all contact centre and administrative staff members as soon as possible in line government and public health advice.
- Ensuring proper WHS measures are followed including providing sufficient alcohol wipes and hand sanitizer and that social distancing is observed.
You can view our letter to Australia Post here.
We have met with Australia Post General Managers of Employee Relations Geraldine River and Workplace Health and Safety Rod Maule. We have provided your feedback and are now awaiting a response to our written correspondence.
We have also verbally requested that Australia Post relax current certification requirements for personal leave to be approved given the difficulties often experienced in getting a prompt medical appointment.
If there are any immediate COVID-19 risks in your workplace, please contact me and your local Health and Safety Representative.
Know someone who needs assistance?
Suwan Adamson, CPSU National Organiser for Australia Post