The outcome of Saturday’s election promises significant improvements on the issues CPSU members have told us matter most to you, and the opportunity to engage on these key issues constructively and respectfully.
The Australian Labor Party has made solid commitments on genuine bargaining and real wage rises, tackling insecure work, better workplace relations in the federal public sector, as well as climate change and the cost-of-living crisis.
The Labor Government has committed to:
- Supporting meaningful increases in minimum wages and lifting wages caps.
- Engaging in genuine bargaining with public sector workers for real wage rises which will help drive wages growth across the economy.
- Abolishing the Coalition Government’s arbitrary staffing cap (ASL cap) allowing agencies to hire staff directly instead of through expensive labour hire arrangements which cost taxpayers more and pay workers less.
- Enshrining secure work as an objective of the Fair Work Act for all workers and making ‘same job, same pay’ law.
- Reducing wasteful spending on external consultants and labour hire firms
- Conducting an audit of insecure employment across the APS and taking steps to create more secure employment where temporary forms of work are being used inappropriately. This will include converting labour hire, casual or contract roles into ongoing APS jobs.
- Reinvesting nearly $500 million as part of the first phase of rebuilding capability in the public service – including 1,080 new secure frontline service delivery jobs at Services Australia, the Department of Veterans’ Affairs and the National Disability Insurance Agency which will improve the delivery of services to Australians.
- Tackling climate change and achieving net zero APS emissions by 2030
These commitments didn’t happen by accident
Thousands of members worked hard to build community and political support for our positive agenda. Together, we made this happen.
Now that we know the election result, we will now work with you to ensure the new Government's commitments are delivered and implemented in a way that works for you.
It’s a big and exciting agenda for our union, but it’s one we are ready for. To do this we need your support.
Are you a MOPS member? There's information especially for you here